Thursday 10 October 2013

The Geordie has landed....in Perth

Greetings from South Perth Library where I've thankfully found a wifi connection. I'm pleased to report that I landed safely in Perth just after midnight on Thursday. I managed to get to sleep at around 2am and woke up feeling still quite tired at 9am. After a 5 minute snooze, I woke again at 2pm. Whoops! That's not going to to my jet lag any favours. I'm being very well looked after by Helen who is originally from Consett and is my hostess for the next 6 days. Thank you Helen for making sure that there was bacon in the fridge for my breakfast (or late lunch as it turned out to be). 

The next few days are going to be spent doing gentle runs, getting supplies for the RV, getting a satellite phone (if I can get a cheap enough one) and meeting up with former ITV and Real Radio presenter Jonathan Morrell. We are going to be doing some media pieces together for the BBC and Real Radio next week.

There was some nice coverage in The Journal, The Chronicle  and True Faith Fanzine. News has also reached me that Gary and Lisa were reading out my curry related tweets from Dubai on the Real Radio Breakfast Show. Thank you to everyone for the brilliant coverage.

Thank you to those kind folk who have made a donation to The Sir Bobby Robson Foundation and The Children's Foundation. The fund is almost at £15,000. That's brilliant but there is still a long way to go with fundraising and the same can be said for the running of course!

Finally, thanks to Austin Lowes for getting in touch and spreading the word while on tour with the TA until 2014 in Kabul, Afghanistan. Austin is a colleague from Virgin Money who has been very supportive over the years. It's really humbling to think that people who are in far dangerous places and situations are thinking of my run across Australia. All the best Austin and please pass my regards on to the rest of the lads.


That's all for now. I'm off for a bit of an explore around the south bank of the river where I'll be running in the morning. If you would like to donate to the 2 charities then please click the image below.