Tuesday 18 September 2012

Team Run Geordie Run - Great North Run 2012

Last Sunday saw Team Run Geordie Run's 3rd year competing in the Bupa Great North Run. I've had contact with some of the team since the finish and I'm very pleased to report that, so far, £1520.60 has been raised in aid of The Children's Foundation. The charity were on hand at the finish line to offer snacks, drinks and a brilliant physio. It was very good of them to allow the Team Run Geordie Run runners access to their tent. I know from talking to some of the team that this was really appreciated.

Despite the ongoing collection of sponsor money, I'm in a position to highlight a few of the team's fundraising contributions so far. I've got to say that they look very fetching in the Team Run Geordie Run vests that were provided by Benfield and designed by Shenton Creative.

Claire Woodhead (pictured below) raised £112 and finished the run in 01:50:03 which was a new PB by 9 seconds. Brilliant!


Iain Richardson (pictured below) raised £283 and finished the run in 01:49:41 which was also a personal best. Iain said "I guess the incentive of running for a good cause makes a difference. Its been an honour to run for the team and I hope I can contribute further in the future.". Well done Iain.


Elliott Atkinson (pictured below) raised £152.50 with his participation in the Mini Great North Run. That is a fantastic amount for a 7 year old to raise. Elliot completed the run in around 9 minutes and he is "keen to do it again next year" according to his Mam Joanne. I've since heard that Elliott has tried out a local running club after being "bitten by the running bug". Watch out for this young man in the future and I'm sure that he will be standing on a podium in the future with his own pose. For now, he looks brilliant doing the Mo-Bot.


Erika Nergaard (pictured below) raised £110 and fulfilled a personal ambition by completing her first ever Great North Run. Despite having some injury problems in the lead up to the run which meant very little training was possible, Erika still managed to get round in 03:07:54. I think she stopped for a chat her and there too with some family and friends. Well done Erika. 


Nick Cotterill (pictured below) before and after he lost 5 stone this summer raised £258.10. Nick finished the run in 02:13:00 which was well inside his target of 02:15:00. Nick Said "I'm certainly not built for running even with 5 stones less of me! Not sure I'll be rushing to do it again!". I've since learned that Nick is due to run the Redcar Half Marathon in a few weeks time. Watch this space for news of Nick running a sub 2 hour half marathon some time soon. Well done Nick.


That's all for now. I'll highlight the rest of the teams' achievements later in the month.