Wednesday 7 September 2011

Status update

I've managed to do a couple of 5 mile runs so far this week with mixed results! Monday's run saw me start with a 7.5 minute mile pace before knocking off a few 8 minute miles. That was the first time that I had been able to get out for a decent run since returning to the UK. 

My initial observation was that I never fully felt in control of my pace. I haven't ran, fully rested, at this low weight since the mid 90s. Part of me wanted to run as fast as I could. However, the sensible part was telling me that I'm still recovering from the run across the USA. I'm going to have to be patient to allow a full recovery before really getting stuck in to some good running.

At this stage of my treatment, Alison the Podiatrist from the Cradlewell Clinic would not be best pleased with me running this quick. I've got another session with her tonight where I'll, unfortunately, be reporting that the recovery in my right foot is not as good as my left foot. Between miles 4 and 5 of my runs this week both feet, but especially my right foot, were in discomfort. It's not pain as such but the numb feeling I'm experiencing is not pleasant all the same. I think that all of the dancing at the ball last weekend hasn't helped but that's a very small price to pay!

One thing is for sure, it's a great feeling to be running again. Once the Great North Run is over I'll be able to sit down and have a good think about how I take my running to the next level. Working on building my strength with Mark and Dave in the gym is a big part of my plans. Also, firmly in my plans is joining the Tyne Bridge Harriers. Being surrounded by the quality of runners that they have will benefit my running greatly. I'm looking forward to meeting some of the members for the first time this Saturday during a short run around the Quayside. Their kit is black and white! Which is nice.

If you would like to join me for 5k (3.1 miles) round the Great North Way route on the Quayside then you can find out more here. All participants will receive a free Great Way timing chip. As the Journal article explains "The Great North Way is the first permanent interactive timing system in the UK and provides a training environment for runners, cyclists and walkers alike.".