Friday 6 May 2011

Day 5 - Getting tactical

I've just finished the 3rd and final session of the day. Driver Richard played a blinder tonight by spotting a more direct and flat route saving a whopping 3 miles. This meant that today's 29.7 miles eats into some of the mileage deficit I've got already. Overall, I'm 8 miles behind schedule which, given the heat, the climbs, the route 66 shenanigans, the creature in the forest etc, I'm very pleased with.

I have a full rest day in Last Vegas in a week's time. Any deficit of miles will be ran that day. As it stands, I'll be running the previously mentioned 8 miles that day.

Today was so very tough. Temperatures of up to 37 degrees Celsius made the 2nd section of the day almost unbearable. I dug in, though, and got through it.


Today's miles were run in the memory of Phil Davison. Phil passed away on the 24th April after a battle with gastric cancer. It was Phil's funeral today. Sincere condolences to his family and friends.

Finally, the reason I have quit my job, sold my car, left my wife and son for 4 months and ploughed £15,000 into the run across the USA is to raise funds for 2 charities that really do help people. My own Mam sadly died in St Benedict's Hospice. The doctors and nurses ensured she had a dignified and comfortable end to her life. I was only 23 at the time and without the help of the Hospice I could not have coped.

The Children's Foundation do wonderful work with research and funding projects that touch the lives of 10's of thousands of children every year. I have a son myself and I'm very proud indeed to be able to raise funds for such a wonderful children's charity.

So here's the deal. Please, please if you can make a donation to one or both of the charities. They are in need of your help and hopefully via my efforts across the USA you will agree that I'm worth sponsoring. 

The next 95 days are going to be quite a journey if the previous 5 days are anything to go by. Please stick with me. Follow me on Twitter or Facebook. Perhaps send an email of encouragement to sponsorship@rungeordierun.com. But most importantly of all, please consider making a donation using one of the following links. Thanks so much in anticipation of your kind support. Rest assured, that I"ll continue to bust a gut (literally) to warrant your sponsorship:

(St Benedict's Hospice)

(The Children's Foundation)