Saturday 21 May 2011

Day 19 - Cold start, wet finish!

I had a very bad night's sleep due to the freezing cold conditions in Apple Valley at 5000 ft. I wasn't in the best of moods when I set off at 8 am as a result. Fortunately, the Support Team are used to that! I was wearing 5 layers it was so cold. That was stark contrast to 7 days previous when I was sweating profusely on my way to Las Vegas.


I stopped at the 13 mile point to talk to Simon Pryde, John Anderson and Marco Gabbiadini on BBC Newcastle's Total Sport show. I enjoyed talking to the lads and I had plenty to talk about as you would expect.


I met up with the RV at the Merry Wives Cafe in Hilldale. I assume that this cafe is poking fun at their neighbours over the border in Colorado City, Arizona. That is where the polygamist community live. Under advice, I was accompanied past the "city" by Comedy Jon. At the next meeting following a few data issues with my Garmin watch I was on my way again to the 20 mile point. 


I was then joined by Wee Kirsty for the remaining miles. Unfortunately, it started chucking it down with rain and we got to the 27.1 mile point soaked through and freezing cold. That was enough running for 1 day! She never complained once though. Unlike me!

The route that we took was on Comedy Jon's advice. It saved 20 miles! The downside was that he had to drive the RV round the original route and pick us up on the other side. 

We parked the RV in Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park and Chef Steve barbecued some steak. The Support Team had pre-planned this and it was a nice surprise to eat something that wasn't pasta or porridge. 

After dinner we listened to some of Comedy Jon's very interesting and funny stories. He tells a great yarn and we were in stitches. Chef Steve tried to pitch in with one of his own, proclaiming that he was named after the US actor Patrick Duffy. Chef Steve's full name is Stephen Cook. Work that one out! Fortunately, his pasta making skills are a million times better than his story telling skills!

The one frustrating thing about the day was that I was out of contact with the world and unable to update the blog etc. This may become more commonplace as I run further into Utah.