Wednesday 11 May 2011

Day 10 - Progress

Progress has been good today and my running has followed the pattern set over the last 3 days. I seem to start the recent days very slowly with a great tiredness hanging over me. After the first session of the day I have been having a sleep for a few hours. Following the sleep, however, I feel like a new person. It really shows in the quality of my running. I attacked another climb to 4200 ft this afternoon. I was overjoyed to find that I had an wireless broadband signal with which to update the blog.


I am now in the middle of the Mojave National Preserve. It is one of the most beautiful areas of the world I've had the pleasure to be in. It's so peaceful and quiet. It's gorgeous view after gorgeous view. It really helps to keep the lonely miles ticking over. 

The weather conditions have been perfect over the last few days. I never imagined that it would get so cold as to have to wear 3 layers. 


I'll be crossing into Nevada tomorrow, which means that I should be in Las Vegas on Thursday. It's going to be strange seeing crowds of people and commercial America again after the peace and tranquility of the Mojave Desert. 

It is this desert stretch of the run across the USA that I feared the most. However, the desert has turned out to be nothing to fear at all. It's a case of working hard on the climbs and that bit of luck with the weather has been most welcome.

I am about to descend into another picturesque valley which probably means a loss of signal. Because of signal loss and timing I haven't been able to speak to Katy and Jack today. This has been a dent to my morale. I hope to be able to speak to them either tomorrow or Thursday. I'll also update the blog as and when signal permits.

Finally, if you would like to sponsor my coast to coast effort across the USA then please use one of the following justgiving.com links:

(St Benedict's Hospice)

(The Children's Foundation)