Thursday 29 July 2010

Virtual race across the USA

Pictured left is the start point of my run across the USA. This is Ruby's Cafe in Huntington Beach, California. You'll hardly need reminding that a mere 3100 miles lie between this point and the finish line in New York.

I really can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to setting off from here at 06:30 am on the 1st May 2011.

I don't have to wait until then, however, to get the run across the USA started. Well sort of!

On August 1st and the 100 days thereafter, 6 teams of Northern Rock IT staff will compete against each other to run or walk 3100 miles. It will be one huge virtual relay across the USA, following the same route that I will be taking.

Teams will be kept informed of progress being made on a weekly basis and the first team to (virtually)  reach the pier in Coney Island, New York will receive a special prize. 

The aim of the virtual race across  the USA is not only to raise fitness levels in the department but also to raise funds for St Benedict's Hospice and The Children's Foundation. Each entrant has paid an entry fee and each team is being sponsored.

I'll update my blog with progress being made in the "Northern Rock Virtual Race Across the USA" from time to time. Watch this space.