Tuesday 5 January 2010

Run Geordie Run Needs You!

When I ran the 874 mile route from John O'Groats to Lands End in 2007 it was done with the help of a first class road side support team.  They were a team full of "characters" such as Burnley Keith and the legendary Rab C (aka Owen McMahon, pictured left).

It would be wrong of me to forget to mention the other members of the team; Katy and Jack Allison, Ian Glasgow and Mark Huck.

In the end, the entire team's contribution was a telling one. Not only did they carry out driving and fetching/carrying duties without complaint but they all helped keep my morale as high as possible during a difficult 5 weeks of running.

With only 17 months left before I leave the start line in California, the time has come to start to assemble a similar quality support team. I don't see this as being an easy task by any means. The level of commitment and sacrifice I'm asking of potential team members is quite significant. Don't forget though that the rewards, on the other hand, are equally as significant.

The Run Geordie Run project has a very good chance of raising tens of thousands of pounds for 2 excellent local charities. Please, please don't underestimate the number of lives that are in some way touched by the 2 charities every day of every year.

I can't state, restate and remind everybody enough times about the difference that St Benedict's Hospice and The Children's Foundation make to the lives of people in our region. I've seen it for myself! I've actually seen where the money goes! As regular readers will know, my Mam lost her battle against lung cancer in St Benedict's Hospice. Her final weeks were made as comfortable as possible and thanks to the staff at the hospice she had a dignified end to her life in exceptionally terrible circumstances.

Last year I was lucky enough to attend the Children's Foundation AGM. The projects I was made aware of during the meeting were as breathtaking as they were inspiring. It still amazes me to this day to think that the Foundation touched the lives of around 90,000 children that year.

I can say with great confidence that the North East really would be worse off without these 2 amazing charities.

With all of that that in mind, I would say that being part of the Run Geordie Run Support Team would be quite an appealing proposition to many people. "Where do I sign up?" I hear you ask. Well first of all, let me tell you a few facts about what is involved with being a member of the Run Geordie Run Support Team.

The facts
  • I need at least 2 team members on the route at any one time. At least 1 of the team will be required to drive the a Winnaebago type vehicle (pictured above) which we will be using for transport and accommodation all across the USA.
  • I need a person qualified in sports massage.
  • Team members are required to commit at least 14 full days of their time for support duties. 
  • Team members are required to pay for their own flights. 
  • Team members are required to arrange their own Visas where applicable.
  • Transfers to and from the relevant airports will be paid for by myself.
  • The accommodation, petrol and energy costs will be payed for by myself.
  • Team members are required to pay for their own food.
  • Team members must have a sense of humour!
  • Team members must be able to encourage and motivate.
Aside from the aforementioned support duties this is actually a really good chance to see quite a bit of the USA. For info, an overview of the route can be seen here.

An invitation to apply

I would like to throw the invitation to apply to join the support team to anyone and everyone. If you would like to apply then please get in touch at rungeordierun@googlemail.com. Bearing in mind that the runs starts on 01/05/2011 and runs for 100 days please include the following information in your email:
  • Name
  • Address
  • DOB
  • Clean driving licence?
  • Qualified in Sports Massage?
  • Start and End date of availability.
  • Within the above dates, number of full days willing and able to provide support.
  • Why you think you are suitable for the team?
  • Details of previous experience in other similar fundraising events.
  • Which football team you support?
  • One interesting fact about yourself.
Please feel free to include any other information which you may find suitable in your application. I look forward to hearing from you. In the meantime, if you have any questions please don't hesitate to get in touch at rungeordierun@googlemail.com.