Sunday 26 July 2009

Week 39 gets off to a flyer!


After last week's 56 mile effort it was straight into another week of running. This week's target is 90 miles and I feel I have lots to prove as the training schedule has stuttered a bit recently. Chest infections, 20 mile races up steep hills, work, etc etc have caused a bit of a disruption to the old routine but I think I'm slowly but surely getting things back on track.

I was very pleased to get the week off to a good start, tonight, with a hilly 11 mile route around Shotley Bridge, Whittonstall and Shotleyfield. The thing I like about this route is the fact that there is nearly 1800ft of climbing to be done (and about the same downhill of course). As you can see from the elevation profile above, there isn't much flat on the course and you're either going up or down. At the end, I was a good 2 minutes outside my PB but 01:47:11 will do for the first run of the week. The speed will return in time I'm sure. Click on the link below for full details of the run.


The plan for tomorrow is to do at least 7 at lunchtime and 6 after work. Once again, this has to be backed up with some good nutrition so the aim is to have a good portion of porridge for breakfast and a jacket tatey for lunch. Eating well is the hard part though! Give me 90 miles and 10 chocolate bars any day of the week.