Wednesday 8 April 2009

3 good runs so far in Egypt

To add to the 3 miles on Sunday (00:27:46) I managed a quickish 5 miler on Monday (00:46:09) and a steady 11.5 miles on Tuesday (01:55:25). The 5 mile run was a formality as I've now become quite used to running in this heat. The 11.5 mile run should have originally just been 6 miles out and back from the hotel. I felt really strong, however, and managed to do a big loop around the hotel. I wasn't quite sure how far the actual run would be so armed with just 0.5 litres of water I took no risks and kept the pace at a very consistent 10 minute miles. In 2009, this is my "could run forever" pace. This kind of pace was around 12 minute miles in the lead up to the last big run from John O'Groats to Lands End.

The 11.5 mile run presented few problems and I was just relieved not to get lost! Thankfully, my sense of direction is one of my strong points. The only minor issue was the wind blowing from the east as I headed on the long desert road back to the hotel. It had caused quite a stinging sensation in my face. It soon went after a good wash!

It's another scorcher here today and 6 miles is on the cards at around 17:00 local time. I'm well on target to reach 50 miles but it's time to make things a little trickier after today. For the rest of the week I'll be running when the sun is at it's highest point, at around midday. Let's see if I'm still in a confident mood after that!

That's all for now folks. I'm off to the pool with Katy and Jack. Messing about in the water is a really good way of easing the aches in my leg muscles. Bye for now!